Suggestions for UXAs, IAs, and IxDs
Published 2012-03-30, by John
Quick post to get some thoughts out into the etherwebs based on recent experience. Hopefully I can come back to this post in the next few days and expand upon it either inline or in a separate post.
- If you don’t know much about library science, particularly around categorization, classification, and taxonomy creation, find a good book about it and pick up at least some high-level concepts to use on your projects. Talk to library science folks. Visit libraries and experience the information architecture there.
- Learn about ontologies and ways to capture them.
- Learn about the Semantic Web ideas and technologies. Even if you can’t directly apply them to a site or app that you’re architecting or designing, the concepts and tools can be exceptionally helpful.
- Learn about first-order logic and logic programming. Much of what we do is about rules and inference. These areas provide a wealth of ideas and tools we can use to improve our work and streamline it.
- Learn about set and category theory.